Saturday, April 18, 2015

Terrible Overhead Press Form: Workout #2

I've completed two workouts since beginning my weight training.  Surprisingly, I am not experiencing much muscle soreness.  My husband thinks I may not be lifting to my potential for two reasons: my inflexibility and my mental block.

I have a poor attitude while working out: 
  • "I don't want to." 
  • "It's hard." 
  • "Do I have to?" 
Basically, a lot of whining occurs.  We feel this limits me.  I think (hope) over time I will outgrow this.  Due to my inflexibility, I was unable to perform low bar squats my first workout.  I was able complete the low bar squats with good form for my second workout.  Holding the bar felt very unnatural and unpleasant.  I still have a lot of work to do on my stretching.  

Instead of benching, I worked on overhead presses.  My form was terrible.  The biggest issue with my form is I did not keep the bar close to my body as I should have.  I have work to do to improve it.    My post-workout homework was to watch another Mark Rippetoe video.  This time on presses.  The whole "tilt your pelvis forward while keeping the back straight" thing will take a bit to get used to.

The video is below.  This was a good explanation on how to perform the overhead press properly.



Workout #2 Results (Friday, April 17)



  • Squats: 3 sets of 5 reps with 25 pounds
  • Overhead Press: 3 sets of 5 reps with 15 pounds
  • Dead Lifts: 1 set of 5 reps with 45 pounds

Noticeable Changes


I noticed the muscles in the lower left back have gained some firmness.  Additionally, I am able to pull myself up a little further with the power tower.  Not a real pull up, but it is better than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment